Welcome to R Ottawa!
Pages for people interested in learning and using R in National Capital Region and elsewhere.
2021-05-01: THIS PORTAL IS NO LONGER UPDATED. PLEASE HEAD TO THE NEW “R4GC (Use R!) Community portal” HERE: https://open-canada.github.io/UseR/
2021-02-27: GC employees, head to https://gccode.ssc-spc.gc.ca/r4gc for more resources and codes related to R coding and usage at GC! Join us for informal ‘Lunch and Learn’s meet-ups every Friday at 11:30. - See GCcollab for more information.
- Data Engineering Demo is ready for presentation at the #GCData2021 Conference Data Literacy workshop: https://rCanada.shinyapps.io/demo/. See workshop page for more information in GCcollab
- Join us at the Data Engineering workshop on 22 February, organized within the Fifth Annual Data Conference (#GCData2021 / #DonnéesGC2021). Hosted by CBSA, the workshop will overview the challenges and solutions related to data engineering. You will be able to experience some of data engineering challenges first-hand, and see how these challenges can be solved using modern data science tools such as R and RStudio. The work on developing an R package and Shiny application to assist with data cleaning and linking will be presented. Details and registration: here.
- Following the announcement at the Data Science Network for the Federal Public Service (DSNFPS) newsletter, we received multiple requests for another R training, like the one we did last Summer. Why not? To enroll and more details - see R101.
- We finished the first season, where we learnt how to write an interactive dashboard that visualizes the COVID datain US. - You can see the final result here! All codes are posted. Resources are updated. Have great summer!
- 35 mins a week seemed not enough… Following requests, we’ll add another R101 “Lunch and Learn” session on Fridays, the same time.
- Ideas for homework are added in Resources
- YouTube channel created: R101 “Learning R together” (Building Data Science Apps from scratch). If you missed a session, you can now watch it there. Session transcripts are also posted in R101.
- We’ve heard you: You want to get all the power and fun of R, but you don’t know where to start (and may not even have it installed on your machine). – Starting this week, we’ll show you how you can start learning and using R in absolutely no time and even without any software installed on your computer! All you’ll need is to login to https://rstudio.cloud and we’ll guide you through after that. We will be developing a COVID App from scratch - together! Sessions will be recorded.
- Invitation to Lunches with Data Challenges meet-ups is extended from CBSA to all GoC. See: GCCollab*
- The focus of discussion becomes Covid-19 and what we (R enthusiasts and learners) can do about it.
- Our informal Wednesday’s “Morning Coffees with Data Challenges” meetings, which we’ve been having in CBSA since Summer 2019, go online, becoming “Lunches”.
Dmitry Gorodnichy (dmitry.gorodnichy @ gmail.com or dmitry.gorodnichy @ cbsa-asfc.gc.ca)